Thursday, February 24, 2011

stop, look, and listen

Mmmmmm music...


Listening to this shit...HELLA GOOD:




The Pharcyde - Runnin' (Philippians RMX)
"can't keep runnin i just gotta keep keen and cunnin"
Can't keep runnin' away.  I feel like I've been running away from myself at times lately.  Looking to false reflections and projections of what I should be.  (Does that make sense?)  Trying to take a step back and look in the mirror, remember and embody.  Hm....YES old work reminding me of my inspirations and rootedness. Writing from real places as transformative, performing in supportive spaces as healing.


Seems like as our resources continue to get attacked, from all sides, we need to continue to organize ourselves to realize what our needs are.  What do we needandwant to be doing everyday, and what kind of support do we need to get there?  I guarantee that the resources that are being cut affect our extended communities in many ways-- this is about the HEALTH of each other, not just physical health, but also of our minds, souls, spirits.  To ensure that we can live the lives we want to live. Realize ourselves so we can (re)create our globalocal communities.


Graduated from school last year, and I'm looking around me as my priorities now reflect more and more who and what I'm trying to be.  My extended home is calling me back, and I'm trying to dismantle the versions of "success" I'm looking up to so I can bring myself to where I need to be.


remember when we were taught to stop, look and listen?  yeaaa, takin a step back and learning how to do that...


One of my favs to perform, I think my name becomes something of a mantra through the piece...titled SHRUTI BALA PURKAYASTHA.

~~

Shruti Bala Purkayastha.
My parents named me a name
that can’t be pronounced.

the
shhh…and the rrruuu of my first name

make American tongues spin with confusion-
like a gay girl tryna fuck straight boys
the positions are unnatural.
Decatur, Illinois taught me right quick.
that
my name had to be Shrudi
Shrudi is my name of the Midwest.
A land where life goes slower and th’s get harder
a country that raised my mind
and shaped my tongue
cuz see
I never knew what to say when I said my name
my Midwestern accent would
punch holes in the fabric of my name
or my
overcompensating Indian accent
would make my name run away
like a tractor in a country road
and I hated my name.
My parents gave it to me
and I hated the shit I
went through every time I had to explain
Shrudi is my name
my real name
and no it’s not Judy
and no it’s not Rudy
and no that’s not short for anything
and yes that is my real fuckin name.
See
I was pissed
because
my parents’ names are Sidd and Sue
Sue and Sidd
so unfair.
victims of assimilation,
they live in an America where
Su-jathas couldn’t be real teachers
and Sidd-harthas only got jobs as “research scientists”
if they were ready to stay right there for 25 years
one PhD one MBA
one lab one desk
one dream of America
rotting in a Petri dish.
Sue and Sidd were friendly
for the mouths of their higher-ups and friends
and my name was mean ugly
I mean for real,
I’m now
used to raising my hand in roll-call
when teachers pause
“Shhhhhhhhherrrrrr….hooooooooh booooooyyyy….”
yup, that’s me,
Shruti Bala Purkayastha
I was
given a name that was nothing but brown.
8 syllables long
20 letters to write
infinite in meaning and history.
my name taught me that I was culture
I was culture and
I was culture in a cultureless land.
my name has been my daily struggle
foreign to my own naturalized tongue
too conscious of where it rolls
my tongue became my enemy
in territory I owned but
have trouble navigating.
Shrudi Shrutti Shruti.

Shruti.
Musical harmony—
element that creates
beauty out of notes
Worlds out of
music and god.
That which is heard.
and the knowledge that we have been
blessed with
from past worlds and future truths.

Bala.
a young girl
but for real
an homage to
my mother’s dance teacher
balasaraswati
the last living devadasi temple dancer
ensuring that my fate 
would be secured in my Feet

Purkayastha
my father’s
father’s
father’s
father’s
my family lineage
that I’ll keep as a woman
a woman who’s got shit
a woman who owns herself
Shrudi Shrutti Shruti
Bala Purkayastha



~~


LOVES

1 comment:

Susan said...

i'll never get tired of reading this!!